Saturday, February 4, 2012

For the love of nutella - Milkshake with fruits & nutella

I belong to the category of moms that try to keep packaged and processed food away from my daughter, there are many processed foods that I keep away from her but Nutella has found its way into our kitchen because of my bias towards nuts. This is not an advertisement for nutella, I just feel comfortable that it is ok to substitute nutella once in a while with other sides/spreads. My daughter likes it smothered on roti,  rolled in chapatis, on top of her bread or just a lick of the spoon.

What is Nutella? It is a spread with roasted hazelnut with cocoa, blended with skim milk and does not contain any artificial flavors or preservatives. Infact the original version supposedly had only a hint of cocoa since chocolate was a rare commodity during the World war period. The earliest form of the spread was created by Mr.Pietro Ferrero in the 1940s and was brought to the US about 25 years back by Ferrero, USA. You will find all this information & much more on the Nutella usa website.

I recently found out that there are hard core fans of Nutella and they celebrate a world nutella day on Feb 5th. You can go to http://www.nutelladay.com/nutella-recipes/ and check out the umpteen number of recipes and ways in which Nutella can make everything taste better :-). You can visit the site to try other more complex recipes or contribute one of your own. I choose my daughter's favorite and an extremely simple recipe to celebrate the World Nutella day.

What do you need to make nutella milkshake?
2 ripe bananas
1 ripe pear (skip if you don't have it or if you don't like it)
1 cup cold milk (I used skim milk)
2 Tblsp of nutella spread
1 Tsp vanilla essence (optional)

How do you make the nutella milkshake? 
Very simple, put all the ingredients in a blender and blend it until it is smooth & frothy, Pour it in cups and enjoy immediately.
Variations: 

  • Since it is not much of a recipe, play around with the choice of fruits, I have made it with only bananas and it tastes good too. The pear and banana combination made it taste more like the chikoo/sapota which was equally enjoyable. 
  • If you don't have nutella on hand, try the milkshake with a scoop of chocolate ice cream instead, but then you will not be celebrating the World nutella day :-)

Are you watching the Super bowl tomorrow? Any favorites? My favorite team (Indianapolis Colts) are sitting in the gallery while playing hosts to the superbowl game, so it is not exciting as it might have been.. I will see you next week with my Superbowl platter.. 

1 comment:

NamsVeni Pothas said...

milk shake a welcome drink in coming summer